Pailin Group Executive Search
National Medical Director of Mental Health Services
Req No 2016-5444
The National Medical Director of Mental Health Services is responsible for projecting and integrating the Mission and Core Values of the organization as well as the Management Philosophy in the leadership within and outside the Healthcare Centers and the Department of Medicine.
The National Medical Director of Mental Health Services provides direct patient psychiatric medical care, directs the overall Mental Health Services program, and develops and implements protocols that assure timely evaluation and management of clients in need of mental health services. The National Medical Director of Mental Health Services works in collaboration with the Southern Regional Medical Director of Mental Health, Chief and Deputy Chiefs of Medicine, the Southern and Western Regional Medical Directors, members of the Health Care Center leadership teams, the Director of Nursing, and various external grantor agencies and mental health services organizations. Expected time allocation includes 50 percent to administrative duties and 50 percent to direct patient care.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Establishes and maintains standards for the Mental Health Services team members, with focus on quality of patient care and service, accessibility to clients, client retention, and productivity of team members.
- Provides direct patient care at multiple Healthcare Centers, including urgent and emergent psychiatric assessments, psychiatric consultation and management of mental health care.
- Directs and supervises the Medical Director for Mental Health Services for the Southern Bureau.
- Directs and supervises the care and services provided by other Mental Health Services team members, including physicians, mid-level providers, social workers and other staff.
- Leads regularly scheduled Mental Health Services team meetings.
- Coordinates with the Chief and Deputy Chiefs of Medicine, the Southern Region Medical Director of Mental Health, the Southern and Western Regional Medical Directors, the Director of Nursing, and Healthcare Center leadership teams to assure effective management of mental health care services.
- Maintains compliance with services and deliverables as defined in grantor agency contracts, and works collaboratively with the Department of Medicine administration and the grants administration team to assure that grant and third-party payer reimbursement and operating expenses are managed responsibly.
- Develops and fosters collegial relationships with other healthcare agencies to identify opportunities to expand availability and improve quality of Mental Health Services for clients. Works collaboratively with Department of Medicine administration and Business Development teams to pursue opportunities to obtain funding support and/or form relationships with other agencies.
- Maintains adequate mental health services team member staffing to assure accessibility and effective management of client needs, including coordination of vacation and conference schedules to assure adequate coverage.
- Performs/oversees chart and peer review processes following the guidelines established by the Medical Policies and Procedures Committee.
- Assists with investigation of patient and provider grievances related to Mental Health Services.
- Attends Southern and Western Regional Medical Directors’ monthly meeting.
- Attends and participates in bimonthly provider meetings.
- Attends providers’ monthly Case Conference meeting to present/discuss challenging psychiatric patient situations and to provide educational Mental Health presentations
- Ensures attendance of Mental Health Services team members at Organizational seminar/CME opportunities, as appropriate. Recommends CME opportunities, and contributes to education of Organizational providers and Healthcare Center clinical teams about relevant mental health topics.
- Assists with counseling provider and other staff in Mental Health Services, consulting with the Chief of Medicine and the Human Resources Department as necessary.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Responds to and participates in all external agency audit requirements.
- Provides periodic educational presentations for Healthcare Center staff.
Participation in Meetings/Committees
- Provider Retreat.
- Medical Staff.
- Medical Directors.
- Pharmacy & Therapeutics.
Supervises and manages Mental Health Services team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting with interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Doctorate degree (M.D.) or equivalent.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Psychiatry.
- A minimum of 3 years of related experience, after completion of residency training programs.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to senior management, public groups, and/or board of directors.
High Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inferences, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical solutions.
Highest Skills: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) and its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
- Valid licensure as a medical doctor in State of Employment.
- Valid DEA certificate.
- Certification as mid-level supervisor
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Ability to travel up to 20 percent of the time.
- Sensitivity to the issues surrounding HIV and AIDS.
- Ability to speak fluent Spanish preferred.
Well-qualified professionals please forward resume along with compensation requirements in complete confidence to
Frank Sinclaire -Health Care Division Group Manager email@example.com
Pailin Group Professional Search Consultants
Retained executive search consultants, nationwide
Our standards are as high as yours are